This month I charged my students to create weekly tastings to share with students and staff during lunch, so to kick it off we created a “Honey Mustard Kale Salad”.
Most of our students have never heard of kale but were eager to try. Some hated it, some loved but all experienced something brand new and we take that as a win in the world of culinary.
- 1 lb Kale, chopped fine
- 4oz Parmesan, wedge, grated
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, salted & shelled
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 Garlic, clove
- 8oz Extra virgin oil
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- In a blender, combine all (except oil) dressing ingredients. Turn blender on high and slowly stream in olive until combined. Dressing should not be streak (that indicates separation) and it should coat the back of a spoon.
- Once combined and tasty, add about a tablespoon at a time to your chopped kale until it glistens but is not soggy.
- Top with parmesan and sunflower seeds. Enjoy!
- Adjust dressing ingredients as needed according to personal taste.