A West Indian staple at any cook shops or cook out, the sweet and creamy salad is perfect next to jerk or stew chicken. Ideal for summer and so easy to make.
West Indian - Style Macaroni Salad
Write a review
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 3 scallion, thinly sliced (reserve 1 for garnish)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 yellow mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Boil macaroni in a large pot of salted water, until it’s cooked throughly and soft but not mushy.
- While the pasta is cooking, cut veggies and set aside in a bowl.
- For dressing, in a separate bowl combine all ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Once the macaroni is cooked, drain and rinse under cold water and allow pasta to cool completely.
- Drain any excess water and add pasta to bowl of veggies and combine.
- Pour dressing over pasta and veggies and mix until everything is coated evenly.
- Salad will be wet but rock with it, pasta will soak it up - trust me ;o)
- Chill before serving and garnish with scallion. Enjoy!
- Make this salad as sweet or spicy as you would like by adjusting condensed milk and cayenne or by adding some scotch bonnet hot sauce.
- recipe adapted from my childhood and picturetherecipe.com
Chef Shelly http://shellyflash.com/